Monday, May 16, 2011

Anime Club

Well, this assignment was about our favorite memory from high school. I would have to say, my fave memory was when I was the president of my school's Anime Club...

We had meetings every Friday after school in Mr.Williams's room. Although most of my time in the club was spent on trying to quiet everyone down, We watched 1st episodes of alot of animes. We only watched first episodes because if somebody was gone one Friday, they wouldn't be behind... and if they didn't like the series we were watching, we could just go to a different series the next week... If they liked the series they could watch it on their own time... only once in a while was there an unanimous vote to continue a series. (Everyone liked Ouran Highschool Host Club). But unfortunately, all good things die young...

I had so many plans for the club, I was thinking we could do stuff like cosplay workshops, tea ceremonies, Kanji lessons and Kendo lessons... but unfortunately after the summer, the school made a new policy for clubs. We as a club had to submit a constitution to be approved by the student government... every time I sent in a constitution, they would tell me something was wrong with it... I would fix it to what they said, turn it back in, then they would have another problem... after submitting it over 9000 times, I just gave up.... This year when I was taking driver's ed, one of the students from our school pretty much said to my face how she thinks anime and anime conventions are stupid and pointless, and that she was the one that "pointed out problems" with all of our constitutions, and she was the one that convinced the student government to reject it each time. The main problem that was "pointed out" each time I turned in a constitution, was that the club didn't benefit the school or it's students in any way.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! It was a club... not a bureaucracy... which is what they obviously wanted from it. It was a gathering place for people who didn't belong, it gave people something to do instead of waiting in the homework room waiting for a younger sibling to get out of school. It taught culture, foreign language, foreign activities and foreign lifestyles, and how people in Japan (and parts of Asia) saw themselves and the rest of the world... Does the Art Club teach that much stuff? NO! Drama Club? NO! Even the Student government itself couldn't handle all the stuff we had planned...

Conclutsion: Anime is very dicriminated against

1 comment:

  1. its over 9000? ahaha i'm funny....anyways that's crap you should be allowed your anime club i don't think its pointless....of course i am slightly biased *smiles* PETITION FOR YOUR RIGHT TO AN ANIME CLUB!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete